Renaissance Faire Dress, pt. 2

If you hadn’t read part 1 of this little sewing saga, you might want to stop right now and read it.  Go ahead, I’ll wait for you.  Renaissance Faire Dress, pt. 1.

Okay now you have the picture, right?  That last post was back in February and I was determined to create a lovely outfit for me to wear to the faire.  I decided against cutting up and using that old wedding dress, primarily because it was white and the faire was dusty.  Instead, I went with my color palette (autumn) for colors.  If you don’t know about your own color palette, you might want to read my post on Color Me Beautiful.

Are you ready for pictures?!  Of course you are!

This is the finished outfit, at the left on my handy-dandy new Dress Form the kids got me for Mothers’ Day.  (Thanks, guys.  You’re the best!)  And on the right, this was the only picture I had of me wearing it.  (Group picture before we went into the faire.)  I was behind the camera for most of the faire so only one photo of it.  Anyway, really happy with how it came out, over all.   The outdoor photo shows truer color than my sewing area spotlights.

The skirt was made from a pair of curtains a friend gave me, which I’d never used.  It’s a microfiber suede and I used buckram to stiffen the layered hem.  The pouffy long-sleeved shirt is made from a georgette.  And the bodice is a jacquard.

I really struggled with the idea of using boning.  It just seemed intimidating.  I kept procrastinating on the corset, because of the boning.  But once I made myself dive right in, I was like… I love this stuff!  And I had a much tougher time with the piping, which wasn’t in the original corset pattern and so I had to wing that part.  But I think the piping really set the corset off.

The belt and the jewelry were all handmade, except for the cross.  That gem of a find was a Hobby Lobby wall decor item.  I couldn’t believe how well it matched my corset fabric.

I made a hat and veil to go with the costume.  Yes, that’s a wig on the styrofoam head.  Yes, it’s -MY- wig on the styrofoam head.  More on the wig later!  The hat is made with the same fabric as the corset and the shirt.  It was a bugger though, and I think before I use the costume again, I’ll remake the hat.  I had a hard time getting it to stand up in the wind.

Now that the costume is done, I’m so glad to be sewing other things!  I’ve finished a pair of beige linen pants (always wanted a pair!), and made a purple tunic.  I’ll have pictures of those soon.

Advertisements

2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Kelly
    Aug 13, 2011 @ 09:58:36

    Great job, Cat! Maybe I’ll get to see it in person on that awesome dress form in a few weeks.

    Miss ya!

    Reply

  2. Charlene
    Aug 13, 2011 @ 10:44:05

    Hey let me know when you’re going to be in the area, and we can get together!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: